Everyone tells you it takes awhile to get settled, feel comfortable and find your way around a new area, and yes, it is surprising how much there is to do when you uproot everything and move across the country. In many ways we have had a pretty easy adjustment. The time difference is definitely a challenge and often I will think of calling someone only to realize it is 10pm Eastern time. I have been staying up to date with my family with Skype calls, and FaceTime with Josh's parents. I think I actually know more about what's going on with my brothers than I did when I lived in Ohio! Its funny how more distance forces you to prioritize communication and it has been good to connect. My Skype name is katiewilliamsrn for anyone that is interested in saying hello. Usually I log in on Sundays once or twice a month.
Let's see, since the post about finding the apartment, let me summarize the last 7 weeks. (I knew I wouldn't be good about updating a blog!) Josh actually flew back to Columbus at the end of the week when our apartment search was over. He and his mom spent many hours finalizing the packing, and cleaning our condo for putting it up for sale. The movers arrived on Jan 26th and Josh was impressed with the care and attention to detail they took with packing up all our belongings. They also made it out to LA in 7 days with a semi truck on our little street and unloaded all our things in about 45 mins on Feb 2nd. We were able to start our lease here just in time on Feb 1st and we were relieved it worked out so smoothly. We would highly recommend
Allied Van Lines for anyone that has to do a big move.

Josh, with the company of his dad, decided to drive Josh's Jeep out to LA with Lucy instead of flying, so after a second round of goodbyes for Josh in Columbus, they departed early on the 29th and made a 4 day, 3 night journey. The first day they made it to Springfield, MO. The second night they arrived in Albuquerque and the third night ended up in Flagstaff AZ after they took a side trip to see the Grand Canyon. The trip was a fun experience for both of them and their first time seeing the Grand Canyon, so it was neat that they could share it together! Each night they stayed in a Drury Inn and Suites, which allows pets without any extra fees and includes breakfast for rates right around $100/night. Also highly recommended if traveling cross-country with a pet! They arrived on Feb 1st around 3:30pm just as I was picking up keys to the new place. Josh's dad stayed until the following Tuesday and was a big help re-assembling and unpacking things with us.

We had our first guest the following weekend, when Josh's good friend Joe came to visit for two nights following a work meeting in San Diego. We hung out around Venice beach for a jog and some people-watching, which was quite an interesting experience if you know or have heard anything about Venice beach. We went to House of Blues that night for a show together. I also had my first experience of In-n-Out Burger that weekend on Sunset Blvd, which is an LA must-try! Josh and I are doing an ongoing burger survey which may last a while as there is an unbelievable number of burger places to try here!
 |
| Josh and Lucy job hunting |
On the job front, I am getting more and more settled into my role here and the hospital I primarily go to each day, Cedars Sinai. Josh is still doing job searching and interviewing. He recently sent in his application for Social work clinical liscensure, which takes 60 days to process! We have noticed throughout his job search how much California as a whole is affected by cutbacks and lack of funding especially in the social work arena and him finding something might be a longer process than what we first expected. I am enjoying having him as my handyman as he has put together a cabinet, desk, chair, kitchen island and has hung a rack, shelf, and three curtain rods for me among his time with the job search!!
 |
| At The Grove |
 |
| Josh at Point Dume |
We have had fun exploring during down time. We went to
Point Dume with Matt, Corrie and Charlie at the end of January, and we recently got to see the
La Brea tar pits and Page Museum, home to one of the richest fossil deposits in the world and less than 2 miles away from our apt. It is also next to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, which we'll have to explore soon. We enjoy frequent trips to The Grove for shopping and food because we are within walking distance. We have enjoyed finding our "food-way" around town, restaurants including Katana when Joe visited, Canter's Deli, and
Frankie's New York style Italian to name a few. (where we went to on Valentine's Day and met Frankie himself!) We have barely scratched the surface trying all the great food out here. We also have enjoyed the church we have visited a few times with Matt and Corrie,
Reality LA, and we are feeling more and more connected each day. Thanks again for all those that think of us and pray for us!
 |
| "Urban Light" outside of LACMA |
 |
| Fossil of a sloth at Page Museum |
No comments:
Post a Comment